About Me

Mostly, this is my clearing house for sharing things I'm finding along my journey to, well, awesomeness. Recipes, exercise, successes, failures, inspiration. Things I want to preserve as I stumble across them. If you happen to be someone who finds them, enjoy!

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Finding my groove...

School's been back in session for a week.

Cue the angelic chorus, "HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLELUIA!!"

This week has been me attempting to get back in a groove of some sort.  The more organized I am, the better this house runs.  Both Mark and I have a natural tendancy towards sloth and anything I can do to ward that off is a GOOD THING.

The biggest attempt at organizing?  I made my meal plan out for the entire month of September.  Yes, yes I did.  All the suppers, all of Holland's breakfasts (same thing for one week at a time), and all of Holland's school lunches/snacks (again, same thing for one week at a time).  So far, it's working beautifully!!

I tried to get a good mix of main ingredient (so we don't have chicken four nights in a row) as well as recipes that can be pushed off if things come up.  A perfect example of this is today's Mexican Polenta Bake.  Nothing in it is perishable so it can wait until tomorrow - or even next week - if it needed to.  As it is, it's just waiting until lunch tomorrow, but still.  It also takes into consideration things already on the radar like early soccer games or Girl Scouts after school.  Those days get crock pot or soup meals.  Fast and easy.

Thursday after work, I look at my calendar and start the grocery list for the meals/snacks/lunches.  Then, I add to that the other random things we might need like milk or lunch staples for Mark and me.  The only thing missing is a catagorized shopping list - broken down row by row according to the store I always shop it - and the whole thing would be perfect.  Friday morning is errand morning so the groceries get purchased then and we're all set for the next week.

An extra benefit is that it gives me the weekend to do any cooking needed for the week.  Last week it was three batches of muffin, a whole army of mini cupcakes and homemade ranch dressing.  This week will be mini quiches and bagels.

I haven't had time to put up recipes from the past two weeks, but here are some things I've learned:
  • Turns out, Phyllo Dough and Puff Pastry aren't the same thing.  Whoops!  Now we all know.
  • Sometimes recipes look not so awesome but end up being amazing.  Look for me to post the Corn, Bacon and Potato Chowder recipe soon to prove that.
  • I don't like scrambled eggs, but love fritattas.  Apparently what I do like is super overcooked eggs.
  • What started as a winning recipe can sometimes turn into something that no one likes.  Interesting.
  • Taking a cold lunch has made all the difference to the little kid.  She gets that extra 10 minutes she used to spend in the lunch line to settle down and eat.  And has come home with a completely empty lunchbox every day for the past week.  Maybe cutting her sandwich into a butterfly shape helps.  :)
So that's that for this Sunday morning.  I promise I'll try to get more recipes up in the next few weeks.  I've run across some really good ones that I'm excited to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment