About Me

Mostly, this is my clearing house for sharing things I'm finding along my journey to, well, awesomeness. Recipes, exercise, successes, failures, inspiration. Things I want to preserve as I stumble across them. If you happen to be someone who finds them, enjoy!

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Product Recommendation: The Titan Peeler



Yes.  From "As Seen on TV" fame.  A. Maze. Ing. 

I know.  You think I've lost my mind.  It's OK.  I'm used that.  You're looking at your computer screen the same way my husband looked at me when I announced my Titan Peeler love a few months ago.  You NEED to trust me on this.

Now, I'll admit I do enjoy gadgets.  I also enjoy infomercials.  So if I'm lucky enough to catch wind of a gadget informercial, you've probably lost me for the 22 minutes it takes to give me all the justifications I need for purchasing said gadget.  I blame genetics and my father for all of this.  He, too, is a fan of the informercial gadget.

OK, so WHY do I love the Titan peeler so?  Some of it's positive attributes:
  • Nice heft to the peeler.  It doesn't feel chintzy and the handle is nice and fat so it's easy to hold.
  • The peeler has little pointed teeth instead of the flat blade on a traditional peeler.  Why is this so great?  Well, it makes the skinless parts of whatever you're peeling have TEXTURE.  AMAZING.  No more potatoes flying out of your hand and into the sink filled with peels.  No more struggling to hang onto slippery carrots.  No slipping at all.
  • As a person prone to fileting skin from their fingers while using a peeler, I have some limitations on which types I can buy.  We call this kind the "Julie safe vertical kind".  It's very technical and scientific, no?  As opposed to the "Julie bleeds all over the food and has to start over much to the chagrin of her husband who doesn't understand what the problem is between his wife and a horizontal peeler" kind.  Perhaps I've shared too much.  The good news with the Titan peeler is that when you do try to take your skin off, it's not a giant slice.  It's just a few little scratches.  All because of those nice little teeth.
  • It rinses clean really easily and doesn't really need to run through the dishwasher if you're inclined to skip that.  Which I am.  Because I'm lazy.
  • I HIGHLY recommend buying the version that includes the Julienne cutter.  It takes a little learning curve, but once you figure it out, you're going to be Julienning anything that crosses your path.  Trust me on this.  It's magical.
  • You can skip the slicing board.  I sent in a tiny piece of paper and $2.99 for shipping and handling and still haven't figure out how to make the whole "mini-mandolin" of advertising fame happen.
I did link to an Amazon set in case you just can't wait another second.  But I got my set at Walgreens for $15.  You do what works for you.  It's a free country.

Perhaps it's because I'm a total gadget geek, but I use these peelers every day.  Because I can.  They're so slick, especially that Julienne peeler.  I add carrots and cucumbers to just about everything I can because it's fun and the pieces just turn out so perfect.  Definitely worth checking out!

No comments:

Post a Comment