About Me

Mostly, this is my clearing house for sharing things I'm finding along my journey to, well, awesomeness. Recipes, exercise, successes, failures, inspiration. Things I want to preserve as I stumble across them. If you happen to be someone who finds them, enjoy!

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Whining about Weaning

In a misguided effort to be "healthier" but cutting out sugar, I switched to Sweet & Low in my morning cocaine, er, COFFEE. I mean coffee. I've never had cocaine but I saw Less than Zero and lived in the '80s. I'm aware.

For whatever reason, I really enjoy Sweet & Low in coffee. I can't stand the smell of it when that fine powder cloud rises from the newly torn packet. I certainly don't like it plain and don't like it in anything else. It just balances the acidity and sharp taste of coffee for my crazy taste buds I guess.

But study after study says that artificial sweeteners are just not the way to go. And my own logic says the same thing. Typically, I scoff at "studies" because they tend to be biased and there's always another study out there that contradicts the one you read first. Buuuuut, I mean, doesn't it make basic sense that it's not as good to put a chemically created substance into your body as it is to use a natural one?

Because I'm an all or nothing sort of gal, I can't be trusted with a full container of sugar. I *will* put way more than I need into my cup. For a while, my solution this really clever dispensing device.


The "Sugar Please" sugar dispenser.  One click is equal to 1/2 a teaspoon.  Clever, right?  You know how much you're getting each and every time.  I saw it on a TV show last year and went on a mission to find it.  My husband ended up covertly buying one for my Christmas stocking.  We're super romantic like that.  "Merry Christmas love of my life!  Here's a sugar dispenser." 

Two clicks and I was off and away enjoying my coffee.


But then two clicks turned into three which turned into four which totally eliminates the reason for the device in the first place. Like I said, I have issues with all or nothing.  That's when I switched to Sweet & Low.  I dare you to overly Sweet & Low your coffee.  You can't and still be able to drink it.  At least with the Sweet & Low, I knew I wasn't going overboard with added calories.  Now that I'm cutting the Sweet & Low, I'm back to facing my sugar snitching ways.  My new solution as of this week?

Sugar cubes.

Cute, right?? And FANCY. My brain gets all, "One lump or two?" when I even get NEAR the package. 30 calories for one. And it's substantially looking.

I won't lie, my coffee doesn't taste as "good" as it did with the Sweet & Low. For now, that's OK. I'm hoping my taste buds reprogram themselves and that will take some time!  Who knows, the next step may very well be weaning off of coffee as a whole!

No comments:

Post a Comment