About Me

Mostly, this is my clearing house for sharing things I'm finding along my journey to, well, awesomeness. Recipes, exercise, successes, failures, inspiration. Things I want to preserve as I stumble across them. If you happen to be someone who finds them, enjoy!

Monday, May 3, 2010

Blog Flashback: Farmer's Market Phobias!

As I sat here wistfully thinking about when the Farmer's Market season opens around here, I thought of this blog entry I wrote a few months ago for another blog site.  While I know it's too early in the life of this little blog to be repeating entries, my guess is, very few of you have read this one.  And those who have, well, enjoy it again!  :)


Hello. My name is Julie and I'm scared of Farmer's Markets.


Yes, lame. Trust me, I know. I LOVE the idea of Farmer's Markets. I love everything about the idea of Farmer's Markets. But I have this thing where I don't like looking like an idiot. And my perception of Farmer's Markets is that there is something I'm missing. Like, can you just buy one apple? Or do you have to buy the whole bag? Can you buy one tomato or do you have to buy that whole little flat? And how will I KNOW what and how much of the stuff I want to buy? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!! It's just a little overwhelming for this detail oriented gal.

Secondly, there's the issue of guilt. I feel like I need to buy something from everyone if I'm buying anything at all. They're all right there LOOKING at you. The produce guy at Super One doesn't care if I buy that bundle of beets. But I feel like this nice Hispanic fella DOES. And the one next to him, and the fella selling honey, and the guy selling Kettle Corn, and the list goes on and on. Who am I to say this tomato is going to be better than the one a booth down from you. And will that guy see I'm buying a tomato here and feel slighted that I didn't buy his? Seriously, I'm already feeling guilty enough about needing to eat more produce and now we've added interpersonal issues and baggage into the mix. It's just all too much.

However. Today I went to a Farmer's Market. With Holland and Mark who obviously don't have the same ridiculous issues as I do. We got a GIANT bundle of flowers - GORGEOUS for $6. Insanity. Mark bought 2 huge tomatoes and I bought a bundle of beets. Total spent? $9. 

And it didn't dissolve me into a puddle of indecision and need to keep things equal and fair. What a big girl, huh? I mean, yes, next time I'm likely going to feel compelled to buy organic honey and artisan chocolates because well, I didn't this time and I don't want them to feel like no one wants organic honey and artisan chocolates (even though truthfully, I have no use for artisan chocolates or organic honey.) If they would all just sell tomatoes and flowers, I think we'd really be onto something.

No comments:

Post a Comment